
Now that the free agent frenzy is all but over in terms of big names still available (*death glare at Kovalchuk*), I'm going to let up a bit on the posting and updates and start working on some other summer projects.
But there are still a couple of hockey-related things to get through.
I was lucky enough to be given tickets to this year's Canucks Summer Summit (if you are reading, thank you Trevor Gibson!), and it was quite a unique experience. We were able to get our pictures taken with the Hart and Art Ross trophies, as well as meet and greet with various Canucks prospects like Jordan Schroeder, Patrick McNally, and Yann Sauve. Mike Gillis and Stan Smyl were also available for photo opportunities, and Gillis was considerably less nasty than he usually seems on television.
After the free buffet (nom nom nom), we gathered around a makeshift platform (see below), and listened to John Shorthouse and Jim Robson interview Gillis, Smyl, and Chief Operating Officer Victor de Bonis (not to be mistaken as a poor man's Dave Nonis). Gillis was his usual self: snarky, one-worded, acerbic, but entertaining nonetheless.

The first surprise of the night was the announcement of the retirement of Markus Naslund's #19 jersey, which was a decision I found many hated. In a Canucks franchise that has received little in terms of silver hardware, to me, Naslund represented the beginnings of a winning tradition. He was a role model, gracious and likeable, and he contributed generously to the community and the fans. Statistically, he's the Canucks' leader in overall goals and points, and has one of the highest single-season point totals in franchise history; he's also a Lester B. Pearson award winner and Hart trophy nominee. I don't think it's fair to hold the Canucks' retirement standards up to franchises like Montreal or Toronto, because the Canucks are (a) a younger organization, and (b) have never won a Stanley Cup. The criteria should be constituted of players who have accomplished and achieved the most, and who have represented a high degree of excellence within the Canucks organization. I understand that this makes the process rather arbitrary (Pavel Bure, anyone? Anyone?!) but in this instance, #19 is a jersey worthy of retirement. I think Jeff Marek put it best: "VAN "retires", TOR "honours", its all about internal excellence in each case."
After that piece of news, we received a visit from the first ever Canucks captain, Orland Kurtenbach. We were all told there would be a surprise guest, so we figured Kurtenbach was the end of it, but a few minutes later, Shorthouse announced the arrival of two more guests: newly-signed defenceman Dan Hamhuis, and slightly overpaid center Manny Malhotra! The excitement was palpable. I caught their entire interview on video (below).
After that, the fans were allowed to ask a few questions to the panel. Most of them were aimed at Mike Gillis - and really, nothing is more amusing in life than Gillis answering silly questions like, "why is our entrance so lame? We need fire like the Flames!" (p.s. Gillis' answer was "I'd rather have a hockey team," to which the crowd "oohed" and "aahed" and clapped their hands in approval.)
And that was that. Like I said, since it's summer and the sun is beckoning me, I won't be updating as often as I have, but I'll still be posting the odd article or video or amusing photo, so check back.
Hope you guys are having a great summer! I'll see you in September!
0 comments: on "The Canucks Summer Summit, thoughts on Naslund, and more"
Post a Comment